Sunday, 16 June 2013

Race Report - Longest Day Race 10k - 2013

Chip Time – 42:36 (PB)
M4059 – 14/118
Men – 34/281
Overall – 39/612
Shoes  Brooks Pure Flow 2

I was surprised to look back and realize I hadn’t run a 10k race since 2011, my last PB of 43:22 was at Summerfast. That course is very flat and I haven’t been doing much in the way of speedwork so figured I’d have to work pretty hard to get past that time.

The Longest Day Race is always a lot of fun and especially nice this year to have my brother, Colin, over to run his first 10k race, and Kevin who first introduced me to the race a  few years ago. Not to mention having Leah there and visiting with the usual group of Broadway Run Club folks. It’s a nice change to have an evening race plus the bonus of a great BBQ afterwards. Fortunately the weather turned around from the miserable rainy start to the day and it was a really pleasant evening.

There were a few minor logistical issues this year due to the construction around UBC, a few sections where 10k runners were wandering across the 5k course getting to the start line, but it seemed to sort itself in time. One of the changes was that the course was run backwards from where it usually goes.

I started out way too quick clocking a 3:57 for my first km, and a 3:50 for my second, no wonder it was hurting early, but hey, it’s 10k. I also didn’t realize we’d hit the hill from SW Marine up 16th Ave that was going to be such a slog at around the 4km mark, and we’d have to do it again right before the finish! Ouch. That definitely dropped the km average down considerably and it was a challenge getting my legs back for the 4:15 ballpark I was trying to stay within. My 5k split was 20:56.

I managed to hang on, get back up Heartbreak Hill part two, and head towards the finish line for the last “sprint” down the hill, around the corner and then onto the grass for the last 100 meters. I could see the clock ticking down, still time to stay below 43:00. I was definitely feeling this one and could feel a touch of “the heaves” as I cooled down immediately across the line.

Back over to the sidelines to meet with Leah and my nephew Evan and watch Kevin, Colin and other familiar faces charge in. So proud of my little bro for coming in at 56:50, under an hour like he was hoping for, and solidly at that!

Steve's goofy face, nephew Evan, Colin and Kevin

Read Kristine’s race report, here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment